How We Can Save You Money on Building
- Expertise & Experience: We have over 19 years of practical experience in the design and construction industry giving us the expertise to combine creative design with extensive construction knowledge offering a design-orientated architectural design practice with a practical focus on your building needs
- Quality of Design: A property, be it your own home, investment or business premises is for many their main investment and it is always our intention to get the best result for you.
- Value: From the start we guarantee that there are no hidden costs and we provide a comprehensive and inclusive design and documentation service.
- Competitive Tendering: Unlike ‘design & construct’ services, our designs allow you to get quotes from more than one builder (as no builder holds copyright of our designs).
- Client Control & Budget: From the very first meeting (which will be free and non-obligatory) the emphasis is not only on design but also budget. This is something that most people find confronting, especially if it’s the first time they have approached a designer directly. We always ensure that their budget is realistic for their needs otherwise it will destroy their dream and we pride ourselves on creating the dream. However, sometimes people tell us their budget and it is not truthful which then leads to difficulties. We are not here to make it difficult we are here to make it easy! Remember: it is your money, your project and you can keep control! With our guidance we would never expect or request you to sign off on something that is not realistic.
It is important to understand who owns the copyright of a design. This normally rests with the person who created it. Therefore, if a builder prepares your plans, the builder owns the copyright. This prevents you from calling tenders, and you are stuck with only one quotation. To many who are unfamiliar with the building industry, an example would be going to a project builder usually at a show village, and you choose a property already designed and you have few options to change and then those changes then become the property of the builder so what you may think is a unique change for just you may well be offered again by the builder.
- We will help you define your requirements to maximise your lifestyle within your budget and timeline.
- We will ensure a lifestyle of your making and a strong long-term investment.
- We will provide you with honest, straightforward fees with no hidden costs.
- We will provide you with a realistic opinion of proposed project costs.
- We will obtain competitive prices from a range of builders and those that we know will be best for your specific project.
- We will select and co-ordinate any required sub-consultants eg engineers, certifiers etc
- We will make regular inspection during the construction of your project and have no hesitation in speaking on your behalf to the builder.
If you are thinking of engaging a builder directly as compared to a designer, it’s worth noting the following:
- You will not benefit from a personal designers professionals expertise. As an independent designer our job is to maximise your lifestyle and investment .
- Good quality construction does not go hand-in-hand with good design as builders often employ a building designer to create the design, which may result in hidden costs.
- Once the builder designs your home or renovation at a guaranteed cost, they own the design. If you do not like the price, you cannot use the design.
General information only
We intend for the information on the Website to only serve as a general overview on matters of interest. The information on the Website is not intended to be comprehensive, nor does it in any way constitute personal advice. We attempt to ensure that the content on the Website is current and accurate but we do not guarantee its currency and accuracy. You should carry out your own research and/or seek your own advice before acting or relying on any of the information displayed on the Website.
Please go to the Contact page for more information on how to keep in touch with us and please leave comments below…..we just love comments and questions!!
Author Simon Scott, Principal Designer and Owner of SSB Design Studio